About the Journal
Focus and Scope
The Journal of Social Media in Society is blind peer-reviewed, open-access, online journal that accepts scholarly articles and book reviews. The journal is devoted to scholarship and commentary on social media and its impact on society. The objective of JSMS is to advance the study of social media with current literature based on theory, research and practice from all methodological frameworks.
The journal welcomes papers on all aspects of social media, such as interactive online platforms and mobile technologies used to connect, share, discuss, and collaborate. It publishes May 31 and Dec 31 each year.
Articles - Open Submissions, Indexed, Peer Reviewed
Essays - Open Submissions, Indexed, Peer Reviewed
Book Reviews - Book reviews should include the title of the book, author, publisher, ISSN number, publisher, reviewer’s name, a short introduction and overview of the book, a critical analysis of its strengths and weaknesses, highlights, commentary on where it fits into the larger literature, practice and industry, and who would best benefit from it (is it appropriate as a textbook, a practitioner's guide?), as well as your overall recommendation to read or not read. The maximum word count is 1,000 words. The editors do not want a complete regurgitation of the work or a chapter-by-chapter replay. Book Review Editor - Yvonne Mulhern
Peer Review Process
- Authors will be notified upon receipt of a submitted manuscript.
- The editors will conduct an initial review of the manuscript before sending it to an independent review panel.A typical intial review will occur within four weeks of receipt of a manuscript.
- The panel of reviewers are scholars in the research paradigm or discipline and are selected by recommendation based on their respective expertise with regard to social media. Authors’ identities will be confidential and not divulged to the reviewers.
- Critical Reviewer analysis of the manuscript with suggestions/feedback will be provided to the authors, regardless of whether the manuscript is accepted for publication. This process can take anywhere from four weeks to three months.
- When both reviews are returned, the editor will evaluate the decisions recommended by the reviewers. The editor will make the final decision on manuscripts.
- The editor will respond to manuscript author with a decision email plus the anonymous review sheets.
- The editorial team will copy-edit the manuscript, also checking graphics and tables to see if the resolution will work. Authors will see a proof prior to publication.
The journal publishes in late May and late December each year.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
This site is made possible by Tarleton State University's College of Liberal and Fine Arts, College of Education, College of Business, and Tarleton's Graduate School.
- Tarleton State University College of Liberal and Fine Arts
- Tarleton State University College of Education and Human Development
- Tarleton State University College of Business
- Tarleton State University Graduate Studies
The Journal of Social Media in Society (JSMS) was created to advance the study of social media with current literature based on theory, research and practice from all methodological frameworks. JSMS is a research-based journal focused on the interest of social media in society. The journal defines “social media” as interactive online platforms (including mobile technology) where we connect to share, discuss, create and collaborate. It began as an idea incubated by the Texas Social Media Research Institute.
JSMS is available as open access and is published twice per year, in fall and spring. This endeavor was incubated by the Texas Social Media Research Institute, located at Tarleton State University, in Stephenville, Texas.